Imagine you tell a girl you like her, and she follows up your expression of interest by asking “Why?”
You might feel put on the spot and unsure of what to say. After all, even if you do really like her, you might not know the exact reasons you enjoy spending time with her.
Some guys in this situation feel awkward and don’t give much of an answer at all. Others feel flustered and start listing off things that aren’t really true.
Try to avoid either of these scenarios by reflecting on what it is that you like about a girl before you tell her you like her. Whatever you do, take your time responding and be as honest as you can.
If you need a little more help, check out this comprehensive list of sample responses to a girl asking why you like her.
31 things to say when a girl asks why you like her
- It’s difficult to put into words, but all I know is that I feel good when I’m around you.
- You make me feel cared for and supported.
- We have an incredibly similar sense of humor.
- I’ve never felt as much like myself around a girl as I do around you.
- I like you because I feel like we have so much fun together.
- You’re so genuine. I like how authentic and honest you are about what you’re feeling.
- You are so beautiful that it is hard to look at you sometimes.
- I can’t put my finger on it, but there’s just something about you that I can’t get enough of.
- I appreciate that you have such a beautiful, warm heart.
- I admire how open-minded you are.
- I like how much you care about the people around you, and how you always go out of your way to make sure everyone is okay.
- In addition to being stunning, you’re also great company. You’re down-to-earth, smart, funny, and you don’t take yourself too seriously.
- You have a wonderful smile and you’re always so positive and joyful.
- I like how spontaneous you are. It feels like you’re always up for another adventure and I really value that quality.
- I really like talking to you. You always have such an interesting perspective on things.
- I love how passionate you get about the things you care about.
- I value having a strong, independent partner by my side, and you carry yourself with such grace and confidence.
- You make me want to be a better person every day.
- I want to be your boyfriend because things have just always felt natural and easy between us, right from the beginning.
- I chose you because I believe that we bring out the best in each other.
- I asked you to be my girlfriend because the thought of you with someone else would have torn my heart in two. I knew I had to lock it down while I had the chance
- I chose you because you make me feel listened to and cared for every day.
- I just knew we would have a good time doing life together.
- As soon as I laid eyes on you, I knew we were meant to be together.
- I knew from the moment I met you that I couldn’t let you get away.
- I like the dimples in your cheeks.
- I don’t know exactly—I just like looking at you.
- Your eyes blow me away.
- Your just such a sweet and petite little thing.
- You’re drop-dead gorgeous and you know it.
- It’s everything about you—your laugh, your clothes, your hair, your smile. You’re just perfect.
If a girl asks you why you like her, you might be momentarily lost for words. “Is this a test?” you might wonder. You’ll know that, whatever you say, she won’t be forgetting your answer anytime soon.
How specific should you be? Well, the more detailed your reasons for why you like a girl, the better.
Be genuine about what drew you to her.
She’ll know whether she recognizes herself in your description or not.
While this all might make answering questions about why you like a girl seem really intimidating, don’t worry too much about how you answer!
If your feelings are genuine and you know her well enough, she’ll be happy to hear your honest response.
Now, let us go through the answers given above one by one.
1. It’s difficult to put into words, but all I know is that I feel good when I’m around you.
When a girl asks why you like her, what she ultimately wants is reassurance that you do really like her.
There are a lot of guys out there who remain non-committal about their feelings for way too long after becoming involved with a girl.
Girls are used to responding to “maybe” from a guy when it comes to questions about the future.
So, if the girl you’re seeing asks why you like her, make sure you reassure her that you think she is a date worth keeping.
Telling her you feel good when you’re around her is a nice way to do this.
2. You make me feel cared for and supported.
Another way to answer when a girl asks why you like her is to talk about how she makes you feel.
Whether she makes you feel seen and understood or safe and supported, let her know. Hearing the effect she has on you will certainly make her feel good.
If you’re texting, this is the kind of message she’ll want to respond to with a smiley face with 3 hearts emoji (🥰).
3. We have an incredibly similar sense of humor.
You’ll be able to tell a date went well if you and the girl you’re seeing have the same sense of humor and can’t stop laughing.
If a girl that you are always joking around with asks you why you like her, tell her it’s because you have an almost identical sense of humor.
4. I’ve never felt as much like myself around a girl as I do around you.
If you can be yourself around the girl you’re seeing, you’ve won the dating lottery. If you feel comfortable being honest about who you really are—flaws and all—you’ve found a keeper.
No one is perfect. Being with a girl who has compassion for your imperfections will make you feel seen and appreciated.
If she asks you why you like her, tell her that you really value being able to be yourself around her.
5. I like you because I feel like we have so much fun together.
Being in a relationship means tackling the challenges life throws at you together.
You should know how to cheer your girlfriend up over text when she is sad. You also need to be able to have serious discussions about things like how soon to move in together.
But at the end of the day, a relationship should really be about having fun!
When you aren’t dealing with day-to-day practicalities or comforting each other through hard times, you should be enjoying each other’s company.
If you and the girl you like are always having a good time—no matter where you are—then you know you’ve found someone worth holding onto. When she asks you why you like her, tell her it’s because of how much fun you have when you’re with each other.
6. You’re so genuine. I like how authentic and honest you are about what you’re feeling.
There is nothing worse than not knowing where you stand with the person you’re seeing.
If the girl you’re with is always unapologetically herself, compliment her by telling her that she is a really genuine person.
7. You are so beautiful that it is hard to look at you sometimes.
No one doesn’t like being told that they are beautiful.
If a girl asks you why you like her, you can always say something nice about her appearance.
She’ll enjoy responding to a compliment from a guy and will be happy to hear that you like what you see when you look at her.
Boosting a girl’s confidence by telling her how good she looks is also a great way to act like a gentleman on a date.
8. I can’t put my finger on it, but there’s just something about you that I can’t get enough of.
It is often difficult to say exactly why you like a girl. All you know is that you do!
There is something about her that attracts you to her and makes you want to find out more.
There’s a reason the French talk about people having a certain je ne sais quoi, meaning a quality that cannot be named easily.
The Brits often talk about a girl who is particularly cool or attractive as “having a bit about her.”
Whatever language or dialect you say it in, no girl would be unhappy to hear that she has a special quality that you are particularly drawn to.
What to say when a girl asks what you like about her
There is a subtle difference between a girl asking why you like her and asking what you like about her.
When a girl asks why you like her, she’s asking about the effect she has on you.
When she asks what you like about her, she’s asking which of her traits or features you like.
Those can be physical attributes, or they can be aspects of her personality.
Try to name at least one or two specific things that set her apart from the rest.
If you’re stuck, don’t worry. Here is a long list of sample responses to a girl asking what you like about her.
9. I appreciate that you have such a beautiful, warm heart.
If you love how kind and good-natured the girl you’re seeing is, tell her that what you like about her is that she has a heart of gold.
She’ll like responding to being told “I appreciate you” by a guy.
Choosing to focus on something about her that isn’t physical will also go a long way toward reassuring a girl that your connection is genuine.
10. I admire how open-minded you are.
Telling a girl that you like her open-minded worldview is a great way to indicate that your approaches to life and politics are compatible.
If you are dating a smart girl who cares about the current political climate and the planet, showing her that you’re on the same page will be important to her.
Answering “What do you like about me?” by talking about a girl’s mindset is sure to go down well if she is passionate about social justice.
11. I like how much you care about the people around you, and how you always go out of your way to make sure everyone is okay.
Are you seeing a girl who is just a genuinely good person?
If she always puts other people’s needs ahead of her own, show her that her kindness hasn’t gone unnoticed by telling her you appreciate how caring she is.
Nice people often don’t get the credit they deserve because they don’t want to ask for it.
She’ll appreciate that you are so observant about the sacrifices she makes.
12. In addition to being stunning, you’re also great company. You’re down-to-earth, smart, funny, and you don’t take yourself too seriously.
The question, “What do you like about me?” isn’t always easy to answer.
You want to sound enthusiastic about your feelings for a girl but you don’t want to sound desperate.
But don’t worry about sounding over-the-top! There’s no need to hold back if you’re really into a girl.
If you could see yourself saying, “I love you for the first time” soon, you can list off a whole series of things you like about her.
Compliment her looks, her personality, and her sense of humor.
Being complimented for her appearance will boost your girl’s confidence. Matching your nice words about her appearance with ones about her personality will only make her happier.
13. You have a wonderful smile and you’re always so positive and joyful.
Telling a girl that she has a nice smile is a good way to respond to her asking, “What do you like about me?”
If she has the positive attitude to match her smile, tell her you like that about her too.
14. I like how spontaneous you are. It feels like you’re always up for another adventure and I really value that quality.
Who doesn’t want to be with a fun-loving girl?
If you’ve managed to meet a girl who loves having a good time and is always looking for the next fun activity, tell her that what you like about her is her up-for-it attitude.
15. I really like talking to you. You always have such an interesting perspective on things.
Does the girl you’re seeing have a unique take on things? Are your conversations fascinating because she keeps making points you’ve never thought of?
If so, you can tell her that what you like about her is the conversations you have and the new perspectives she opens up for you.
16. I love how passionate you get about the things you care about.
When people talk about what attracts them to potential partners, one of the things they frequently mention is passion.
There is nothing worse than being with someone who doesn’t seem to care very much about anything.
If you’re with a girl who gets really fired up about the issues that matter to her, tell her you appreciate how deeply involved she gets in what she’s doing. Let her know that her energy and vigor are very attractive to you.
What to say when a girl asks why you chose her as your girlfriend
If your girlfriend asks you why you chose her over your other options, you’d better have a good answer.
Once you’ve committed to being in a relationship with someone, you no longer have to worry about things like how far in advance to ask for a date. Your concerns are suddenly much bigger, like how long to date before marriage.
Because of the big, life-changing decisions that are looming in front of you, you should have a good reason for choosing someone as your girlfriend.
So, when your girlfriend asks you what the clincher was that made you decide to ask her out, be ready to provide a well-thought-out, detailed answer.
17. I value having a strong, independent partner by my side, and you carry yourself with such grace and confidence.
One good way to explain what motivated you to ask out your girlfriend is to compliment her independence.
Some guys like it when their girlfriend is reliant on them, but most guys like a woman who knows how to take care of herself.
If your girlfriend has her own busy, high-powered life, let her know this is something you respect and value about her.
18. You make me want to be a better person every day.
Another good reason to start a romantic relationship with someone is that they make you a better person.
If you’re the best version of yourself when you’re around your girlfriend, tell her that this is what prompted you to ask her out.
After all, the best outcome from any partnership—romantic or business-related—is that both parties end up in a better position than they would be alone.
19. I want to be your boyfriend because things have just always felt natural and easy between us, right from the beginning.
Have you ever been dating a girl and wondered why everything always had to be so difficult? Maybe you were constantly fighting and having to apologize to the girl over text.
Whatever conflicts you had, if it felt too difficult and draining, you probably decided to break up because it wasn’t worth it.
If things have always felt easy with you and your current girlfriend, that’s a really good sign.
If you’ve had minimal conflict, tell her that what made you chose her is how naturally you two get along.
20. I chose you because I believe that we bring out the best in each other.
When two people inspire each other to be better, it bodes very well for the future success of a romantic relationship.
A positive dynamic of mutual support and encouragement creates a wonderful environment to exist in.
If your relationship is a force for good in both of your lives, you can tell your girlfriend that your shared positivity is what inspired you to choose her to be your partner.
21. I asked you to be my girlfriend because the thought of you with someone else would have torn my heart in two. I knew I had to lock it down while I had the chance.
This isn’t the most elegant reason to give for why you asked a girl out, but if it’s the truth, then you should tell your girlfriend this when she asks.
A lot of people don’t realize how much they care about someone until the possibility is raised that that person might end up with someone else.
Ultimately, this means that you love and care deeply about your girlfriend.
You just needed to reflect on what your life might look like without her to understand how much you wanted to be with her.
22. I chose you because you make me feel listened to and cared for every day.
Being a good listener is a wonderful trait. It can bring people out of their shells and make them trust you.
Telling your girlfriend that she makes you feel cared for and listened to is not only an honest reflection on what you like about her, but it is also a huge compliment.
23. I just knew we would have a good time doing life together.
Being with someone shouldn’t be hard. If it’s too difficult, it’s not working.
The health benefits of strong relationships shouldn’t be underestimated.
Ultimately, if you’re with someone that you aren’t happy with, you’re doing both of you a disservice.
If you chose your girlfriend because you knew the two of you would have a fun, light-hearted life together, then tell her this.
There’s really no bigger compliment than being told you make someone happy, so she’s sure to appreciate this answer to why you wanted to be with her.
24. As soon as I laid eyes on you, I knew we were meant to be together.
Are you and your girlfriend are big believers in love at first sight?
If you know that your love story is special, then this sample response a great way to answer her when she asks you why you chose her as your girlfriend.
25. I knew from the moment I met you that I couldn’t let you get away.
If your girlfriend asks you why you asked her out while you are enjoying a romantic dinner, you can answer her poetically.
This line is a beautiful expression of care and will show her how genuine your love for her is.
What to say when a girl asks why you think she’s cute
You don’t want to be the kind of guy who calls a girl sweet, but can’t respond when she asks why you think so.
The best approach to being asked why you think a girl is cute is a concise compliment about her appearance.
She’ll surely be flattered to know that you like what she looks like.
If you call a girl cute over text and she comes back asking for specifics, here are a few answers you could give her.
26. I like the dimples in your cheeks.
Okay, this obviously only works if the girl in your life has dimples. But the point is that you can choose a small detail about her appearance to compliment.
This will make her feel like you’re paying attention to her. She’ll feel that you really think she’s special because you’ve taken the time to notice her unique features.
27. I don’t know exactly—I just like looking at you.
If you can’t come up with a specific physical trait that girl you’re talking to has, or if you just think she’s cute in general, this is a good answer to give.
Telling her you like looking at her will distract her from the fact that you haven’t given a specific answer.
28. Your eyes blow me away.
When a girl asks why you think she’s cute, you can name a specific feature of hers that you think is particularly impressive.
Tell her your blown away by it. This will send the message that you are fully into her. You think she’s gorgeous and that you would really like to know her better.
29. Your just such a sweet and petite little thing.
Let’s say you called a girl cute because she’s a bit like an elf or is just a small person with a lot of energy.
If she really is cute in the literal sense of the word, then this is a good answer to give when she asks why you think so.
30. You’re drop-dead gorgeous and you know it.
If the girl you’ve just called cute is fishing for compliments and you want to call her out on it while still letting her know you like her, this is a great response.
Telling her that she knows how gorgeous she is and refusing to give in to her pressing you for specific compliments is a great way to keep the power dynamic between you even.
31. It’s everything about you—your laugh, your clothes, your hair, your smile. You’re just perfect.
If you’re absolutely smitten, this is a sweet way to tell a girl what you think is cute about her.
If you want to go the distance with her, don’t feel like you have to hold back about just how enthusiastic you are about her.
Hey, it’s me, Steven. Dating and relationships have always fascinated me. On Dategosu, you will find my best tips to make sure your next date is a great success!