In real life, the pick-up line has all but died out.
I mean, let’s be honest, what self-respecting adult approaches someone they are interested in and uses a cheesy one-liner to try to reel them in?
However, the format of dating apps is giving pick-up lines a rebirth.
On Tinder, it can feel easier to use a funny opening pick-up line than to come up with something original.
And pick-up lines will get more attention than a generic greeting!
So, how should you respond to the pick-up lines you will inevitably be sent if you are on Tinder?
Well, it depends on everything from your level of interest in the sender to the cleverness of the line itself.
23 ways to respond to pick-up lines on Tinder
- Hahahah. Okay, as corny as that is, I’m chuckling. Well done.
- 7/10. This is fun. Give me more openers and I’ll rate them for you.
- That sounds just like something my future boyfriend would say.
- Has that ever worked?
- So, now that I’ve ruled out that you’re a comedian, what do you do for work?
- Haha, that’s really cute. Can I keep you?
- Can’t wait to tell our grandchildren that that was your opening line.
- Boy, you are as cheesy as a pizza. Fortunately, I’m a big fan of pizza.
- Oh man, that was as corny as corn syrup. Luckily for you, I have a sweet tooth.
- Tinder Error 402: Your message has not been sent because it exceeds the permitted level of cheesiness. Please rephrase and retry.
- Are you a time traveler? Because you should really go back in time and unsend that message if you want this to conversation to continue.
- Are you a magician? Because if you want any chance of getting to know me, you’re going to have to make that message disappear.
- Are you a magician? You must have done something to my eyes because I suddenly can’t see this going anywhere.
- I mean this in the politest way possible, but I’d rather drink bleach than continue this conversation.
- Listen, I’ll be honest with you. You’re a good-looking guy, but if you want to have any success on here, I suggest not using that opener on your next match.
- How many times have you tried using that line? Cause it sure isn’t working on me.
- Oh, wow. That is suuuper corny. I’m not so sure we’re going to be compatible.
- Oh, no, no, no.
- Hey, sorry, I’m gonna unmatch. Why couldn’t you just start off with a simple, “Hi, nice to meet you”?
- I think you misspelled desperate.
- Oh dear, I don’t think we’re gonna vibe at all. Gonna unmatch you, but hope you find a gal who likes pick-up lines!
- *Sneeze* Sorry, I’m allergic to BS.
- Are you bad WiFi? Because I’m feeling no connection here.
How to respond to pick-up lines on Tinder if you want to keep the conversation going
Just because someone opens with a cheesy pick-up line doesn’t mean you should write them off. After all, starting a conversation with a complete stranger is tricky. And let’s be honest, pick-up lines can have their charm.
Your match is probably just trying to make you laugh, which is only a good thing. As long as the pick-up line isn’t too inappropriate, why not keep the conversation going to see what else you can learn about your match.
1. Hahahah. Okay, as corny as that is, I’m chuckling. Well done.
If your match begins a chat by sending you a pick-up line that genuinely makes you laugh, let them know you appreciated it.
After all, the point of talking on Tinder is to assess your compatibility. Sharing the same sense of humor is one of most important elements of a successful a relationship, so let your match know that you find the same things funny as they do.
2. 7/10. This is fun. Give me more openers and I’ll rate them for you.
Why not make a game of it? If you enjoyed receiving the first pick-up line, if only because you found it funny, suggest to your match that they send you more one-liners so that you can give them feedback on them.
This shows your match that you are fun, and that you don’t take yourself too seriously. This is a great, light-hearted way to get the conversation going.
3. That sounds just like something my future boyfriend would say.
If you enjoyed the pick-up line and think your match’s Tinder profile looks interesting, joke that what they have is said is something your future boyfriend would say.
By jokily referencing a future relationship you are showing your match two things. The first is that you have a good sense of humor and can engage in witty banter. The second is that you are interested in getting to know them better.
4. Has that ever worked?
Just because you want to keep talking to a match after they send you a corny pick-up line doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to give them a hard time about how silly their message was. After all, pick-up lines can be pretty lame.
Asking them “Has that ever worked?” will show them you aren’t hugely impressed with their opener and that they will have to step up their game if they want to keep talking to you.
5. So, now that I’ve ruled out that you’re a comedian, what do you do for work?
Pick-up lines are usually supposed to be funny in that roll-your-eyes, dad-joke kind of way.
Why not respond with a similarly jokey tone, poking fun at how unfunny their opening line was.
By saying you’ve ruled out that they’re a comedian, you’re letting them know you didn’t think their message was particularly amusing.
This response keeps the banter going while also asking them a real question about their life.
6. Haha, that’s really cute. Can I keep you?
Some pick-up lines are actually very sweet. For example, if your Tinder match starts a conversation with, “I must be a snowflake, because I’ve fallen for you,” you can acknowledge that their message was cute.
Saying “Can I keep you?” keeps the light-hearted tone going, while also showing a clear interest in your match.
7. Can’t wait to tell our grandchildren that that was your opening line.
The most important thing about responding to a pick-up line on Tinder is to find a balance between funny banter and showing interest in your match.
Saying that you can’t wait to tell your shared grandchildren what your match just said is simultaneously funny and appropriately forward.
You’re clearly joking about thinking you will share grandchildren. But you are also indicating that you are open to getting to know them better. This message also pokes fun at your match for sending a silly pick-up line.
8. Boy, you are as cheesy as a pizza. Fortunately, I’m a big fan of pizza.
The key to responding to a cliché one-liner is that you can’t be too serious. You have show you understand that the tone of the conversation is humorous and a little silly.
By playing into this silliness, you are showing that you don’t take yourself too seriously, which is a highly attractive quality.
Why not tell your match that they are “as cheesy as pizza,” and then add that you are “a big fan of pizza.”
This is a great way to show that you know how to have fun but are also discerning enough to call them out for being cheesy.
9. Oh man, that was as corny as corn syrup. Luckily for you, I have a sweet tooth.
This is another response that acknowledges how cringey your match’s opener was while also showing interest and matching their lighthearted tone.
10. Tinder Error 402: Your message has not been sent because it exceeds the permitted level of cheesiness. Please rephrase and retry.
This is a funny way to respond to an especially saccharine pick-up line.
Send a pretend automated Tinder message informing your match that their message has not been sent because it is too cheesy. Telling them to rephrase and retry will let them know you are still open to talking.
The concept of the message is funny in and of itself, and your match will surely appreciate your sense of humor.
11. Are you a time traveler? Because you should really go back in time and unsend that message if you want this to conversation to continue.
This is a play on the popular pick-up line that goes, “Are you a time traveler? Because I see you in my future.” And in fact, it makes a great response to that very pick-up line.
But you can use it as a response to any number of pick-up lines. The point is simply that you aren’t enormously impressed with their opening line, and that you want them to cut down on the rehearsed one-liners.
12. Are you a magician? Because if you want any chance of getting to know me, you’re going to have to make that message disappear.
This is a play on the popular series of pick-up lines that begin “Are you a magician?” It makes a great response to any of the magician pick-up lines, including the popular “Are you a magician? Because you just turned my entire deck to hearts.”
However, as with the previous example, you can use this line to respond to almost any other pick-up line.
How to respond to pick-up lines on Tinder if you want to end the conversation
Whether the pick-up line your match used has turned you off for good, or whether you’ve changed your mind about your match for another reason, here are few ways you can respond to a pick-up line if you want to end the conversation.
13. Are you a magician? You must have done something to my eyes because I suddenly can’t see this going anywhere.
This is another play on the popular “Are you a magician?” pick-up line. This response is a way to gently let someone down, while still keeping the banter going.
By telling your match you can’t see the relationship going anywhere as part of a joke, you are softening the impact of the blow while also being honest about your intentions.
14. I mean this in the politest way possible, but I’d rather drink bleach than continue this conversation.
Be careful before you send this one!
This could be seen as a very rude message and should only be used if your match has sent you a highly inappropriate or even an offensive pick-up line.
If you feel that your match has been so inappropriate that they deserve this message, then go ahead and send it. Alternatively, if you receive an offensive message, you can simply not respond. You can also unmatch or report your match.
15. Listen, I’ll be honest with you. You’re a good-looking guy, but if you want to have any success on here, I suggest not using that opener on your next match.
Now, given that you are rejecting them, it might not be all that appropriate to call this message a piece of tough love, but that’s the general idea.
You’re just letting your match know that the line didn’t work for you and that you wouldn’t recommend they continue to use it if they are seriously interested in meeting someone.
16. How many times have you tried using that line? Cause it sure isn’t working on me.
This is a good message to send if you want to let someone know you don’t want to talk anymore.
You’re poking fun at how cringey their pick-up line was, while also clearly letting the know that it isn’t making you swoon. They will be sure to get the message that you don’t want to continue talking.
17. Oh, wow. That is suuuper corny. I’m not so sure we’re going to be compatible.
The kindest way to reject someone is to tell them that you don’t think you’re compatible. After all, not everyone is everyone else’s cup of tea. Some people like corny pick-up lines and some people don’t.
The worst thing you can do is to pretend to be interested in someone you don’t really like. Not only will it make you unhappy, but you’re preventing your match from focusing their full attention on some other match who may be an enormous fan of puns and silly humor.
18. Oh, no, no, no.
This is straight-to-the-point response to a message that has made you want to end a conversation.
It is a particularly good response if someone sends you a suggestive or inappropriate pick-up line and you want to make clear exactly that you don’t think what they said is acceptable.
Simply repeating “no” will be sure to convey your reaction to their opener. They will surely understand that you two probably aren’t going to be meeting up.
19. Hey, sorry, I’m gonna unmatch. Why couldn’t you just start off with a simple, “Hi, nice to meet you”?
If you were highly unimpressed with someone’s opener, tell them you are going to unmatch them. Then ask why they didn’t just introduce themselves normally.
This may cause your match to reflect and to begin their next conversation differently. Who knows, you may be doing them a huge favor by giving them this advice.
20. I think you misspelled desperate.
This is another harsh response that should only be used if the pick-up line you were sent was inappropriate, unkind, or offensive.
If someone says something like, “Your body is made up of 70% water. . .and I’m thirsty,” you can respond, “I think you misspelled desperate.”
This sends the message that you don’t appreciate being spoken to so forwardly by someone you don’t know.
21. Oh dear, I don’t think we’re gonna vibe at all. Gonna unmatch you, but hope you find a gal who likes pick-up lines!
If you are not impressed by your match’s opening pick-up line, just tell them how it is. Let them know you don’t think you’re going to vibe and that you are going to unmatch them.
Wishing them the best for their future experiences on Tinder sends the message that you harbor no ill will and that you are only unmatching because you don’t see the relationship going anywhere.
22. *Sneeze* Sorry, I’m allergic to BS.
This may sound a little harsh, but if the pick-up line you’ve received is really stupid or over the top, you could send this in response.
For example, if someone sends you the line “Wouldn’t it be the perfect crime if I stole your heart and you stole mine?”, you could respond with this.
23. Are you bad WiFi? Because I’m feeling no connection here.
This response is what is known as an anti-pick-up line, which means it uses the format of the pick-up line to achieve the opposite effect.
Instead of trying to woo someone, it is trying to tell them you aren’t interested. Anti-pick-up lines make great responses to pick-up lines, and this is a great one to use if you want to let your Tinder match know that you don’t really see this going any further.
Hey, it’s me, Steven. Dating and relationships have always fascinated me. On Dategosu, you will find my best tips to make sure your next date is a great success!